Neurological conditions affect nearly one in six of the world's population, up to 1 billion people worldwide. Some of the most common neurological disorders include Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, epilepsy, migraines, multiple sclerosis, and stroke. A neurological disorder affects the central and peripheral nervous system; this impairs nerves and brain functioning. Early detection of neurological diseases is crucial as the impacts can be far-reaching in one's life.
Symptoms are your body's way of indicating that something abnormal is happening. Learning to listen to our bodies and be aware of any symptoms is the patient's best tool for early disease detection. Understanding symptoms of neurological disorders is essential, as it can lead you to an appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
5 Neurological Symptoms Not to Ignore:
- Headaches - If headaches become routine or start interfering with your daily life, if they are severe and come on suddenly and repeatedly, you should see a doctor, as these could be symptoms of an underlying condition.
- Dizziness - There are times when a cold or sinus pressure causes slight dizziness; this can be normal. What is not normal is chronic dizziness or dizziness that comes out of nowhere. These could be signs of a severe neurological condition.
- Vision Changes - Blurred, double, or loss of vision can result from the aging process, but they can also be a sign of a more severe neurological issue.
- Memory Loss - Memory loss is also a sign of the natural aging process, but when it begins to interfere with your everyday life or your friends and family begin noticing it, it's time to discuss your memory loss with a neurologist.
- Sleep Problems - An occasional restless night is a common occurrence but insomnia and chronic fatigue are not typical and should be addressed by a doctor.
Neurological symptoms can indicate severe disease or injury, failure to seek treatment can result in serious complications and permanent damage. Receiving an early diagnosis, seeking proper treatment, and building a solid support system are critical for living successfully with a neurological condition.
If you suffer from any of these neurological symptoms, getting the correct diagnosis is essential. Contact North Suffolk Neurology for a comprehensive evaluation.
North Suffolk Neurology is a full-service Neurology, Headache Medicine, and Sleep Medicine practice committed to helping our patients and their families maintain and improve their health. Call us at (631) 364-9119